Tuesday, May 15, 2012

pine mulch


I anxiously await the taste of our first strawberry this year.  I have switched to pine needle mulch this year as I read that it helps to produce a "wilder" tasting strawberry.  And, unlike the straw mulch used in years past, it's free and gathered from our land.  Regardless of any taste difference, I will probably proclaim these berries as the sweetest.
My oldest daughter was excited to learn of the wild strawberries she found in the asparagus patch and potted them in hopes of tasting the tiny berries.  I just love kids in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even planted my strawberry plants yet. We won't have any this year. The neighbor has pine trees. Maybe I should go borrow some needles. :) I mulched my peas with some maple leaves today. I don't think I'll use straw again.

    ReplyDelete