Monday, May 7, 2012

multigrain banana muffins with chocolate chips

The promise of warmer weather has not yet arrived and so my baking continues.  Hot muffins fresh from the oven are what I like to serve my little ones to help them start the day (it helps this mama too).

As you can see above, I baked some of the muffins with paper liners (I like using these) and others without.  These muffins have such a tender crumb that I would advise the use of paper liners.

My recipe is adapted from the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins by King Arthur Flour

1/2 cup melted butter or cooking oil of your choice
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup mashed very ripe banana, about 2 medium of 1 1/2 large bananas
1 large egg (preferably free ranging)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk or half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour
1 cup Ghirardelli mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup rolled oats
Streusel topping, if desired

1.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir with a whisk.
2.  In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar for approximately 3 minutes.
3.  Beat in the mashed banana, the egg, vanilla and the milk.
4.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat to combine.
5.  Stir in the chocolate chips and oatmeal.

At this point, you could scoop the batter into your muffin tins, top with streusel (if desired) and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven.  I like to make the batter up the night before and store it covered, in my refrigerator.  The next morning, I bake and serve these delicious muffins.

Do you have a favorite muffin or breakfast recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment